Today started out kind of scary for me. Early this morning I experienced something related to my pregnancy that freaked me out a little bit. (I won't share what it was on here, it's a little TMI.) But thanks to Suzanne, Brandy, my mom, and the nurse at my doctor's office, I was reassured that everything is okay. But I was advised that I had been doing too much lately and I needed to rest. So I spent the whole day in bed. Not as fun as some might think. But I do feel more rested and I haven't had the problem again today. Praise God. I did have to get out tonight, however. After all, this is our normal date night. So we went to Marketplace (one of our favorite places to eat) and to Kohl's. As much as I didn't want to, I had to buy some new pants. Mine are getting tight. But they lasted a long time. I think I bought them pretty early in the pregnancy.
This morning's experience did get me thinking that I better start working on my bag to take to the hospital. Now, I've read all kinds of checklists, but I want to get a discussion going about what item(s) you couldn't have done without at the hospital.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I had to go and get Michael to buy me some pajama pants or flannel pants. I couldn't fit my old clothes and didn't want to wear my pregnancy clothes home. Make sure you also have the leaving the hospital outfit for Cayson. That is the exciting part.
I couldn't have done without my ponytail holder. I know that sounds stupid, but when you're that uncomfortable it really helps to have one thing that's not bothering you (keeping my hair out of my face was a big thing to me) Tommy would say he couldn't have done without his jacket, because I kept it about 50 degrees in the room and he froze. All the books I read told me to pack books and crossword puzzles, you know, something to do. I packed all that stuff and never looked at any of it. Before I had Josh, I just don't feel like looking at it (and I had blood pressure issues, so the doctor wouldn't let me read or anything) and after he was born I didn't want to look at anything but him. Also, I couldn't have done without the bag of change we brought for the vending machines, and my mom. She was a tremendous help, and I'd have been lost without her. Hope this helps! Lee Ann says your doing great. We'll be praying for you!
My essentials were:
*already wet face wipes (also good to use as a sponge bath for yourself.. you might sweat A LOT for a while after he's born)
*toilet paper from home!! The hospital uses horrible toilet paper!
*soap and shampoo from home
*bronzer for me. I had a ton of visitors and I felt a lot better having some face powder with bronzer thrown on before they all showed up.. and wow I looked pretty cute in all of the hospital pics!
*headbands and/or ponytail holders
*VERY comfy going home outfit. Don't try to look cute.. just get something that is bigger than you think you'll need, is easy to nurse in, and has layers in case you're too hot or too cold. Your body is weird after childbirth!
*just in case craziness happens and you end up with a csection, DEMAND a belly band!! Take it home with you!
*I only took one outfit for me to the hospital, my going home outfit. I found it much easier to just wear hospital gowns while there. I took a few different outfits for the kids so I could see what fit them best. (everything is too big at first.. don't be afraid to buy those tiny newborn sizes, even for your big boy)
*breastpads.. you might leak.. and Lansinoh or PureLan ointment.. you might need it.. and who knows if your hospital will have any. Every breastfeeding mother needs lanolin!
*magazines, body lotion, chapstick, and snacks! I think those complete my must have's list!
all you really need is a change of clothes for coming home - for you and the baby, but extras do help.
~the change for snacks is a great idea, but we were too broke, so the last time i packed a whole seperate bag of snacks - matt's and mine for before and after. don't forget cash for fast food, because they only feed you not your husband.
~a paci, if you're doing one.
~i agree with the comfy clothes for going home. you can wear a shirt and no pants when you have visitors, if you want. (you'll always have blankets.)
~don't forget clothes for your hubby. they'll want to shower and clean up too.
~the hospital will provide diapers and wipes for while you're there and most everything else you'll need. do bring your baby going home outfit and blanket for the ride home.
~i never used the magazines, books, music, etc. (see suzanne's comment), and you have a tv in the room for you and your honey.
~you will need your showering stuff. (again don't forget hubby's stuff, he won't want to use your secret platinum!) and i liked having my make-up, too. it just made me feel better.
~you might want to bring a pillow to keep in the car for the ride home. if softens the ride. ;)
you're basically going on a 2 day overnight vacation and coming home with the best doorprize. don't over pack for baby - all they really need is you. leave room in the car for all the flowers and balloons - or send 'em home with mom so you don't have to worry about anything but you and baby.
I have to say I'd think it safe to leave behind magazines and such if you're having a vaginal delivery.. but with a csection you'll be in the hospital for AT LEAST 48 hours.. and tv gets old really fast lol
I would have to agree w/ Suzanne when she says that she couldn't have done without her ponytail holder. Also, I would throw in some warm socks to wear in the delivery room.
When it comes to the clothing for the trip home, you'll need loose-fitting clothes. Choose something you were wearing about midway through your pregnancy. You won't be into those pre-pregnancy jeans just yet!
And if you are choosing not to breastfeed, you should bring cans or bottles of infant formula, so your baby can start with the brand you prefer.
For your hubby/labor coach, make sure he brings the phone numbers of family members to call once the baby arrives. And - make sure your car seat is safe and secure in the car!
Post a Comment