Monday, September 22, 2008

Seizing Divine Moments

On Sunday nights at First Southern we have several different small groups spread throughout Lavaca, Central City, and Fort Smith. We are all (except the students) going through a study called Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus. It's a 10 week study on the life of Jonathan. We just finished chapter 2 last night, but this study is already getting to me. It's all about seizing divine moments and not living a passive life. The life of a christian should be full and exciting, not safe and boring. And that's where I am. Well, I guess life's not boring (it can't be with Shaun for a husband! ha ha) But it's certainly safe. In the book, Erwin talks about a time that he was at the beach with his 10 year old son and they saw a double amputee struggling with walking. He had crutches, but he kept falling. Erwin made the decision to just steer his son the other way. But his son stopped him, saying that he had to help that man. And because his son tried to help him, several other peope noticed and began to help, too. How many times am I faced with similar situations and I just decide to be neutral and not get involved?

This quote from the book really summed up things I had been feeling for a couple of years and didn't even realize it:

"The more you move with God-given urgency, the more God seems to bless your life. The more God blesses your life, the more you have to lose. The more you have to lose, the more you have to risk. The more you have to risk, the higher the price of following God. In some twisted way, God's blessings to us can become our greatest hindrances to seizing divine moments." --Erwin McManus, Chasing Daylight


When Shaun and I first married, we didn't have any money or kids or even any stuff that was worth anything. We dreamed about doing all kinds of things. Then he started making more money and then we had kids. Now life all too often gets bogged down with the mundane. I tend to be safe so that my kids are safe.

Time is ticking by faster than ever, it seems, and I don't want to look back and see that I never seized those divine moments. Jesus said that he came so that we could have life, and life more abundant. He's not talking about money or material things, either. I want that abundant life. I know that this book has the potential to be a turning point in my life, I just have to make the decision to let it.

3 comments:

Dena said...

Wow! I think I need to read this book...

And, btw - I LOVE the pictures in your previous post! Your babies are beautiful!!! :o)

Mandy said...

Ditto.. wow those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!

Girl, a few months ago I was in that same place. Playing things safe, not wanting to shake things up, not wanting to possibly do something I felt led to do because, "what if I fail?"

God's urging finally got me "out of the boat" and wow.. it's amazing what he will do in our lives if we will just trust him and take those first wobbly steps!

Now that I'm embarking on things that I still don't feel 'equipped' to do, I am finding myself clinging to God even more. I know that without him I cannot accomplish the tasks set out before me!

I think there's a time to play it safe, and a time to get out and get to work. We all need times of rest, and after having a baby is a good time. lol

Brittany said...

Mandy, I want you to know that you're part of the reason that I started realizing that I was being too safe. I admire your initiative to start the new things that you have. Thanks for being a good example!

Dena, Thanks! And yes, I would definitely recommend it. It's been an eye-opener already!