Thursday, June 21, 2007

Day Camp '07 is OVER!

I love kids. I love camp. I love when it's over! Whew! What an exhausting week, or half a week, anyway. It was fun, but I'm glad it's over! I think we had a pretty successful first year of kids' day camp. There were definitely things that could be improved, but it was a learning experience. For me, even. Like I said before, I was the judge. What was I thinking? That was the hardest thing I've ever done in regards to working with kids. I had categories in which to give the 2 teams points, but it is so hard to stay objective. We would award the spirit stick to the team who had the most points at the end of the day and after 3 days the team with the most total points got takeout pizza while the losing team got frozen pizza (that was cooked). Well, the way the points worked out the yellow team only won the spirit stick one out of 3 days, but they had the most overall points. That first day they just did a lot better. And I think the kids had a hard time understanding why that happened. I think next year we are going to have day camp all week, so it will be easier to pick a clear winner. This year, the blue team got a slow start, but they were getting there. If they had had another 2 days they might have won. However, they yellow team was more consistent. And they had the qualities I was looking for the most: servanthood, encouragement, and team spirit.

It was fun being the judge until I had to announce the winner. I hated seeing the faces on the blue team. They were so upset. Although I think they got the better end of the deal. The takeout pizza came from the Pizza Parlour...which is the most awful pizza I've ever had. It's cheese and sauce on cardboard, basically. But the locals seem to love it.

Now we're on to the next exhausting venture: Youth camp! We're going to Camp WOW (walk on water) in Stuart, OK. Several of the youth groups in the Fort Smith/Lavaca area have gone in together to create our camp: Authentic Faith. We'll have over 600 kids from this area there! And we are also doing the color/team thing. Our church is the Pink team. Yeah, and the guys actually wanted that! It's going to be a blast. Please pray for our group! Most of our kids have never gone to youth camp before. And pray for me...I'll have Cayson with me! HA. This should be interesting!

No comments: