
*Update* I wrote this yesterday, but I didn't have the graphic I wanted with me at home so I waited to publish it until today!
Well, it's October and it's Family Emphasis month at our church, First Southern Baptist Church. This has become an annual event; one that our church members enjoy. Today, we kicked off the month with a Church Family Picnic at the Park. One of our church members--who is an awesome cook--grilled a brisket, some ribs, and some hot dogs for the kids. The Bible study hour classes provided drinks, salads, desserts, and breads.
We met at the park at about 5 and ate first. Then, Shaun and some of the other adults challenged a group of collegians to a game of volleyball. (The collegians weren't there with us.) I think the collegians thought they had it in the bag, but our folks stomped them 3 games to none. As our 20's Bible study teacher put it, "They looked the part, but we played the part! I like it!" We got a chance to invite them to church as well. All in all, tonight was a great success. We had a great turnout, great food, and great fun.
Next Sunday night is Family game night. We're supposed to spend the time with our family and play some sort of game. If anyone has a suggestion for something our family can do to involve Cayson (13 months) please comment. We thought about going to Chuckie Cheese, but it's been so long since we've been, we couldn't remember if there is anything he could do.
The week after that is Meet a Family night. The idea is to invite a family that you don't know very well over for dinner. This was a huge success last year. I think we are going to invite our sound technition and his family, plus a family that has been visiting for a while.
The last Sunday night in October is Date night. Some of our singles are going to have Wild and Crazy games at the church for the kids so that the married couples can go on a date. I'm super excited for this one...last year we were the only married couple who did not have an opportunity to go on a date as we took care of the students. This year the students are going to help with the kids. I don't know why we didn't think of that last year!
On Wednesday, October 31, we are having our Fall Festival. We do Trunk or Treat where people turn their trunks into carnival-type games. We are going to bring our Nintendo Wii (yes we got one!!!) up and let them box or bowl or something. Also, there is a chili cook-off for the adults and everyone dresses up. Cayson is going to be a monkey!
And finally, even though it will be the first Sunday in November, we are going to have a movie night. Outdoors! We're going to show "Facing the Giants". I think this will be an awesome time!

No comments:
Post a Comment