Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year, New Woman

In honor of the upcoming new year, I am going to post my new year's resolutions. I think this will help me to be more accountable. Plus, the name of my blog is "Becoming...a better wife, mother, and follower of Christ." And I really don't talk about that very much, except the mother part, anyway. All of my resolutions ultimately have to do with those 3 things. My goal is to post them today and try to update once a week on how they're going. I hope this isn't a total bomb, but I've never really done this before (and been serious about it.) Pray for me as I start this journey!

Better wife

1. Nail down a good budget.

This one is mine and Shaun's. We've always had a budget of sorts, but lately we haven't stuck to it very well.

2. Plan my days better.

I'm not good with housecleaning and organization, so I'm going to start setting goals for the day, week, etc., and work at achieving those goals. I know that it will be impossible at this stage in my life to actually say "8:00 do this" because of Cayson. He's on a pretty good schedule, but I need to be flexible for him. So I think setting goals will be better.

3. Pray for husband more often.

I do this on a fairly regular basis, but it can stand some improvement.

4. Exercise more.

Actually, remove the "more". Because exercising isn't happening right now! I have lost all of my pregnancy weight, but I had gained some before I got pregnant that I am now working on. I've already lost 7 pounds below my pg weight.

Better Mother

1. Pray for my son more.

Again, this is happening, but it could be even better.

2. Spend more time playing with him.

This really isn't that hard!

*I guess the things I mentioned in the "Better wife" category will also make me a better mother as well!

Better follower of Christ

*I should have put this one at the top, because becoming a better follower of Christ will make me both a better wife and mother. But save the best for last, I guess.

1. Make time to spend with God.

I have to be more intentional about this. Otherwise, the day just gets away from me.

2. Pray more.

3. Go.

Matthew 28:19-20. This is our theme for our church this year. I need to be more intentional about meeting people and conversations I have.

Well, there it is. Shaun and I have some more that we've decided on as a family. One that I will share is we are going to invite at least 1 different couple over or out each month. Since we've been here, our circle of friends has gotten very small. It happened before we realized it. We made friends that we are very comfortable around and that's who we kinda stuck with. But we want to strive to "open the circle" and get to know some more couples. I'll try to update you on this as it happens. Please pray for us as we start this new year. I got a great start today (even though it's still 2006). I woke up feeling very refreshed and excited about going to worship. My outlook just seemed brighter today. Pray that I will remember these resolutions, even on days not like today!

I love you guys. Happy New Year!

Brittany

3 comments:

Summer said...

Happy New Year!

Mandy said...

Great resolutions! And very doable! :) Each day I have to remind myself (yes.. EVERY SINGLE DAY...) to stop cleaning or "working" and just be with my children. They are so much fun when I stop shooing them away so that I can sweep or mop or fold clothes... I've also learned to involve them in that stuff so we can play and work at the same time! Cayson will be your big helper soon! :) I really need to spend more time with God myself. As thankful to him as I am... I often let life take over and leave him hanging... not cool.

McDreamy said...

hey girl. i love it!

they're great resolutions and ones that are so grounded. you'll be blessed. we've been praying for the kids' spouses since before each was born and it gets even easier as you get to know them and know exactly what they need prayer for. i love where it says Job prayed for each of his children just in case they needed covering. and if i remember correctly his were grown. pretty amazing. and i love all the verses about their "whole houses" being saved because of the faith of one person. and i read somewhere one time (not in the Bible) - talking to men for their wives, but it applies to us - if we don't pray for our husbands, who will?

and remember, somehow, one year is a magic number for getting your household and your self back in order. it helps to have a plan - like you said - just a flexible one. go easy on yourself. you need much grace and forgiveness from yourself in this new season.